Friday, June 15, 2012

Feathers

I am often asked where I source my feathers and it is a hard question to answer. The first bird responsible for my journey into all of this was a rosella killed by a cat and too beautiful not to do something with. After that originally many of the birds I used were road kill spotted as we drove along. Apologies if you were ever behind us as we screeched to a halt to lift a pukeko or duck from the road before it became too mangled.
As I began to need more and a greater range of feathers I have tried to source them commercially ( I still can't bring myself to be responsible for hunting my own ) with mixed results. Often once people know I use feathers they too will pick up any bird they find they think may be useful, it is not unusual to find a corpse on the doorstep!
My uncle who lives in the backblocks outside Gisborne will often send down birds culled from the farm and has been my main source of feathers ( and lots of weird stuff like possum teeth, pig tusks and deer skin) up until now - Thanks Uncle Star -x.

In the last month I have made contact with a commercial pheasant farming operation called Rathmoy Game Preserve just out of Hunterville. They breed and raise pheasants for commercial shoots.
http://www.rathmoy.co.nz/


It was quite conflicting to see such beautiful birds shot in such huge numbers (indeed at all) but to have access to the fifty cock pheasants I took away to pluck at the end of the day was pure gold.
While I found the whole English gentry type atmosphere quite surreal I couldn't help but admire the way the dogs worked finding the fallen birds or the beauty of the surroundings and the whole occasion.
Thanks Mark - check out the web link if this is your thing.



I now have enough feathers to try alot of new things without being being nervous about the scarcity of them and can now also indulge in some larger pieces.

I am, however, still grateful for any plastic bags left on my door step and still stop the car with very little warning!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who is watching?

Locations of visitors to this page

Thanks for checking out my web space. If you would like to get in touch to enquire about purchases or hosting an exhibition, please email me.
Leonie.Sharp@gmail.com

Followers